Our Design-Build Process consists of two major parallel and integrally related sets of functions that ensure the smoothest possible project. Building a new home or engaging in a significant retrofit can be one of the most challenging times in a family’s evolution. At every step, we work hard to provide for clear communication, realistic expectations and rigorous follow-through to ease the impact on the client.
At the same time, we realize that your project is exciting and something you will want to experience as it progresses. The following Roadmap will set forth the major stages of Project Development, Design & Selection, Construction and the final finishes on your home.
Pre-Design & Consultation:
Prior to beginning the design process, we will sit with you and your family and talk lifestyle, loves, dislikes and other issues that impact how you live and how those things both can and should translate into features in your new or remodeled home.
1. 1st Consultation
2. Development of a 1st Draft Floorplan / Change Plan
3. Second Consultation – We will sit down and go through/mark-up 1st or 2nd Drafts and begin to define the direction of the project.
4. Further Draft Development / Edits & Changes
5. Third Consultation – Usually we are very close to a final plan at this point and typically we will make edits that allow us to proceed to send draft plans to subcontractors, suppliers & other parties to begin putting together a project budget.
6. Finalize Plans for Permitting
Budget & Contract:
1. Budget Development - Over typically a 3-4 week period following #6 above, we will receive bids and quotes from the various suppliers and subcontractors who will perform work on your project and put together a budget.
2. Contract – Once a budget has been developed, we will meet with you to finalize our contract and agree on next steps that must be executed in support of your bank or financing partner’s requirements.
3. Deliver Budget & Plans to Financial Institution (If Applicable)
4. File Permits
Construction & Selections:
1. Excavation – Site layout and Excavation In Preparation for Foundation
2. Foundation – Foundation will be formed and concrete poured – this is the visible beginning of your new home!
3. Framing – The floors, walls & roof of your home will be framed, sheeted with plywood & OSB and wrapped in a protective housewrap
4. Exterior Windows Installed
5. Temporary Doors Installed – during much of the construction process you will see either a temporary “construction” door or sheets of plywood covering the doorways to the home until permanent “decorative” doors are installed a bit later in the process.
6. Electrical & Plumbing Walkthrough – at this point we will walk through the house with you and the electrician & plumbing Contractor to verify locations & types of fixtures and to provide a final opportunity to make changes in lighting, specialty electrical & plumbing fixtures & locations. Built-In bathtubs And tub/shower inserts will already be on site at this time.
7. Electrical, Plumbing & HVAC Rough-ins completed
8. Penetrations Foamed for Air Exchange
9. Drywall & Texture - applied to interior walls & ceilings prior to painting
10. Painting – Interior & Exterior Painting applied (some specialty painting may wait until trim, fixtures & cabinets have been installed)
11. Trim Carpentry – Interior Doors, Exterior Doors, Baseboard, Casing, Crown Molding & Other Trim Installed
12. Cabinets & Countertops Installed
13. Lockers & Other Built-Ins Installed
14. Carpet, Tile, Wood Floors & Other Floorcoverings Installed
15. HVAC Trimmed
16. Electrical & Plumbing Trimmed – fixtures Installed
17. Drywall & Paint Touch-ups
18. Finalization of Owners' Punch List - A Punch List of minor items noticed both by you and us that needs to be addressed will be drawn up and agreed upon and these items will be finished
19. Final Construction Cleanup & Make Ready
20. Final Walkthrough with builder
During the time between contract and groundbreak, it will be necessary to make as many final selections as possible, particularly given the current supply chain challenges. We will give you a firm schedule for selections at the time of your contract based upon your design and the finish considerations for your home. We do set some firm selection deadlines in this schedule, however, these are to aid in the smooth execution of your build and helps “keep the trains running on time”. We will work hand-in-hand with you or your interior designer through the selection process to ensure no items are overlooked and that orders are placed at the proper times to meet our construction schedule.
While this Roadmap is by no means exhaustive, we have tried to set forth major milestones & expectations for selection and building walkthrough timelines typical to most projects. As always, we will communicate with you at every step of the way and take responsibility for prompting you when action is needed!
Copyright © 2023 WESTERN VISIONS INC - All Rights Reserved
MT - CR 265455 / Missoula - 2023-MSS-LCR-00253 / U.S. EPA - NAT-188854-1
Office & Design Center: 16366 Old HWY 93 South, Lolo, MT
Mailing: 400 W. Broadway, STE 101-502, Missoula, MT 59802
406-830-6680 / firstname.lastname@example.org